It’s an opportunity to fully understand the value of your content by reviewing, taking inventory, and curation. Put simply, it will guide you into determining what content is dead wood and what stays.
It's prudent to assess the crawlability of your entire website. Assessing your high traffic and deep-linked pages will enable informed content-related decisions that will ultimately streamline the creation of your new website information architecture.
Think beyond main content. Don’t ignore ‘unseen’ content!
The review process should embrace all the unseen content - meta keywords, meta descriptions, and image tagging attributes (alt tags and titles), as they have a major impact on the indexing of your migrated web pages and images.
Five content review tips
- Use website crawling software to produce a content inventory
- Avoid content rot - earmark redundant, outdated, and trivial content
- Curate content by organising it into content types
- Don’t ignore unseen content
- Determine information architecture
With the content review complete, your attention should turn to the migration tools for the job.
This will be dependent on various factors such as the scope of the migration project, and the projected go-live date for your new website.
The great news is that if you've chosen Sitecore as your new website platform, there are a number of tools that can help.
As a trusted Sitecore agency with many website and content migration projects under our belt, we have the experience and expertise to advise and guide you through the whole process.
Content migration takes planning, time, and precision, and it requires the right tools and technical expertise for the job.
Express Migration Tool
The Sitecore Express Migration Tool helps migrate content from Sitecore 6.6 to the Sitecore Experience Platform 9.0.
The great thing about this tool is that it offers a direct migration path, meaning there's no need to upgrade from version to version.
- Migrates all content and media items
- Migrates all users, roles, and security permissions
- Assists with configuration migrations
- Migrates all items and data in Sitecore Web Forms for Marketers
There are four versions of the Express Migration Tool - each version offers an upgrade path based on the Sitecore version content is lifted from and the version it’s lifted to.
- Express Migration Tool 3.1
- Express Migration Tool 3.0
- Express Migration Tool 2.0
- Express Migration Tool 1.0
Data Exchange Framework
A more advanced tool is Sitecore's Data Exchange Framework.
Designed specifically to facilitate data transfer between systems by synchronising data mappings, this powerful tool allows users to configure the logic required to read and transfer data from one target system to a third-party system, and to read and write items to Sitecore content databases.
Versions of Data Exchange Framework are:
- Data Exchange Framework 2.0.1
- Data Exchange Framework 2.0
- Data Exchange Framework 1.4.1
- Data Exchange Framework 1.4
- Data Exchange Framework 1.3
- Data Exchange Framework 1.2
- Data Exchange Framework 1.1
- Data Exchange Framework 1.0
Codehouse DataSync Tool
Developed by Codehouse, our DataSync Tool provides many options for importing and synchronising external data with Sitecore. It allows the import of .xml, .csv and SQL formats.
Installed into Sitecore and accessible via the content tree, the DataSync Tool's friendly set-up allows content editors to configure content migration in seven simple steps using the DataSync Tool’s Data Mapper.
The seven steps to migration
- Define field types and choose import type
- Choose import format / source (.csv, .xml, etc.)
- Choose location of imported items
- Define template for imported items
- Define folder structure of imported data (by date, name, etc.)
- Select how imported items are named upon import
- Choose whether data remains synchronised
The benefit of our tool is two-fold.
- There's no need for developers, as content editors control the migration process
- The tool can be easily installed on a Sitecore instance without the need of a new code change or release
Sitecore xDB Migration Tool
If you’re upgrading from the Sitecore Experience Platform 8.x to Sitecore 9.0 or later Sitecore’s xDB Migration Tool is required.
Using Data Exchange Framework 2.0, which has pre-configured mapping from MongoDB to Sitecore xConnect, the xDB Migration Tool reads from MongoDB in Sitecore 8.x and writes to the Sitecore 9.x xConnect server.
This tool has two data migration processes:
- MongoDB contacts to xConnect contacts
- MongoDB Reference Data to xDB (including geo-location data)
Versions of the xDB Migration Tool are:
- xDB Data Migration Tool 2.0.2
- xDB Data Migration Tool 2.0.1
- xDB Data Migration Tool 2.0
Human eyes and 301s
For all the smart tech behind migration tools, there’s still the need for a set of human eyes (or two) to sanity check migrated content is where it should be, and just as importantly, to check whether it’s being rendered as expected.
In any migration project, there are most likely to be many orphaned legacy pages. To maintain an unbroken user experience, assigning 301 redirects to web pages is essential in maintaining SEO integrity.
Your 301 redirect strategy - whether 301s are configured server-side or locally in Sitecore - should be part of your migration plan.
N.B. There are also third party migration tools available form the Sitecore Market Place, but they are not supported by Sitecore support.
Want to talk?
In complex and time-sensitive website content migration projects, it’s important to cover all bases.
If you're considering Sitecore as your new web platform and need help with migration, then just get in touch.
Whatever your requirements, we'd be happy to help.