The Sitecore Email Experience Manager (EXM) is a refined, all-encompassing solution with advanced features like personalisation, multiple email templates and multi-site support. Sitecore EXM is part of the core installation of version 9.3 of the Sitecore Experience Platform.
EXM gives marketers better email delivery capabilities and expanded reporting tools
Creating an email campaign
When creating an email campaign in Sitecore via the EXM dashboard, marketers can create two types of email campaigns:
- Regular email campaign: Has no defined content or recipients
- Automated email campaign: Used in Marketing Automation campaigns. An automated email is sent when the contact triggers an event. For example, subscribing to a newsletter
After choosing the campaign marketers can choose from a selection of default templates, custom templates, and can even import HTML or create an email from an existing web page in the Sitecore website. From here on in, the wizard guides marketers through four essential stages of email creation:
The General tab in EXM is where marketers configure the fundamentals of their email campaign with:
- Campaign Group
- From name
- From email
- Reply to
Recipients are assigned to EXM campaigns via the Recipients tab. Recipient lists are stored and managed in the List Manager. There are two types of recipient lists in EXM:
- Include Lists: These are the receiving the email campaign. Using the dropdown icon, marketers can select which list/lists they want to assign to the email campaign. Marketers can Add a list from a file, Create a segmented list or Remove lists. More than one list can be assigned to an email, regardless if the same recipient name is on another list
- Exclude Lists: These are the recipients not receiving the email campaign. This list is a Global opt-out list or an unsubscribed list
The Message tab is where the email campaign message is built. The email template is displayed in the body section. From here marketers can open the editor to edit the text and images accordingly in an Experience Editor interface where components can be added and configured for personalisation.
EXM allows marketers to assign custom tokens via the client API. This means that dynamic, personalised content can be contained within emails that have the power to trigger more personalised messages. This feature greatly enhances recipient engagement and can be a main driver in delivering effective and engaging email campaigns. In addition, marketers can also configure tests by clicking the plus icon to add different email variants.
The final step of building an email in the Email Experience Manager is to configure the delivery options in the Delivery tab. Delivery options are broken down into:
- Schedule delivery: Allows marketers to Send message now, Schedule message delivery or Send a recurring delivery
- Notification: Assign an email to receive a notification when the delivery schedule is complete
- Personalisation: If personalisation has been assigned to the email, marketers check this box to activate personalised components in the email
- Classification: The Send Service Email checkbox sends a service email to all recipients, including those in the Global opt-out lists. Service emails are important (non-marketing) communications to contacts. For example, COVID -19 updates
- Multi-language: If you’re running multiple sites in multiple languages your email campaigns need to be executed efficiently so that recipients are directed to the relevant landing page. This is achieved with improved click handler support that connects multiple sites and languages using Hostname Mapping. By checking this checkbox, EXM sends emails to recipients in their preferred language
- Sending mode: This mode emulates the sending process without actually sending the EXM email campaign
EXM's reporting dashboard gives marketers more insights into recipient behaviour. Essential metrics like, Sent, Opened and Delivered are easily visible. Marketers can also drill down further into recipient activity via a variety of filters.
As a long standing Sitecore Partner, we have extensive experience working with Sitecore and Email Experience Manager. We've helped many customers from a variety of sectors get the very best from Sitecore's marketing feature set.