Search Engine Optimisation isn’t only limited to Google. Bing and Yandex are amongst the top 5 most used search engines in the world, with Yandex being the number search engine in Russia.
With the ever-evolving search engine algorithms, keeping on top of updates is essential to SEO specialists and content marketers.
So how do you get the best performance from your website? Before you kick off your SEO strategy, the first thing you need to do is to get your website indexed by the search engines. Do this by:
- Connecting your website to Google Search Console
- Connecting your website to Bing
- Connecting your website to Yandex
- Submitting your XML sitemap to Google Search Console
- Submitting your XML sitemap to Bing
- Submitting your XML sitemap to Yandex
Connecting your website to Google Search Console
Google Search Console (GSC) is a collection of tools and resources that help website owners and SEO professionals monitor and perform website maintenance. It displays metrics like the search queries used to visit your website, provides information about search appearance, traffic performance, technical updates, crawl status and data, back-links, internal links and more.
- Create a GSC account
- Click Add a property and within the add site URL box
- Choose HTML Tag as a verification method
- Copy the Meta Tag and paste it in the <head> section of your site
- Once this is done click Verify in the Google Search Console window
Connecting your website to Bing
Once you connect your site to Google Search Console, connect it to Bing Webmaster. There are two ways to do this: Manually, or verifying your website by importing the authentication from Google Search Console.
- Open a Bing Webmaster Tools Account
- On the Main Dashboard, click the button on the top right-hand corner that says Skip verification by importing your site from Google Search Console
Connecting your website to Yandex
For businesses with a Russian website it’s vital to be present on Yandex. This is because Yandex is the No.1 search engine of choice for people in Russia.
- Create a Yandex account
- Go to the homepage and find webmaster card and click Add Domain
- Enter the name of your domain and click Add
Confirm that you own the site by either:
- HTML file: Create an HTML file with the specified unique name and content and place it in your site's root directory
- Meta tag: Add a special meta tag to the HTML code on the site's home page (in the head element)
- If you already have a primary domain, click Set as primary. Your new domain will then become the primary domain, while the old domain will be relegated to an alias domain
Once your website is connected and verified the next step is to upload your XML sitemap to all the relevant webmaster tools. An XML sitemap lists all the (included) web pages in your website. A well-structured hierarchy/xml sitemap leads search engines to all your important pages.
The sitemap can usually be found by appending /sitemap.xml to your website’s URL. For example: www.nameofyourwebsite.com/sitemap.xml. If you don’t have a sitemap, ask your technology partner to create one for you.
Submitting your XML sitemap to Google Search Console
- Within your Google Search Console dashboard navigate to the left panel. Under Index, click Sitemaps
- Enter your sitemap URL in the Add a new sitemap box. The URL is usually /sitemap.xml but be sure before submitting
- Once it's submitted, depending how large your site is, the status in the report below will be green
Submitting your XML sitemap to Bing
- Within your Bing Webmasters dashboard navigate to the left panel. Under Configure My Site, click Sitemaps
- Click the new Go to sitemaps link
- Click Submit Sitemap and submit the URL where your sitemap is present
Submitting your XML sitemap to Yandex
- Within your Yandex Webmasters dashboard navigate to the left panel. Under Indexing, click Sitemap Files
- Click the new Go to sitemaps link
- Enter your sitemap URL in the Add a new sitemap box
- Click Submit
With the website verified and the sitemap successfully submitted you can proceed with your keyword research and content marketing strategy to generate traffic through positive search engine results.
Our Digital Experience Team has helped many customers both get started with SEO work, as well as tackling the more complex tasks. For more information about how we can optimise your website, get in touch.